Saturday, January 1, 2011

Physical Therapy


So since doctor has not recommended a tenotomy we've been doing physical therapy of stretching her a few times a day. In the last two weeks her ankles have turned quite a bit more, and even in the last week we could suddenly get the middle buckle one hole tighter, which really pushed her foot down nicely! We are pleased!

We have a follow up appointment on January 3rd, and we will be discussing the skipping of the tenotomy again, relapse chances, and all kinds of good stuff.

I was not aware that there is a standard Ponseti recovery timeline and our doctor does not appear to be following it. According to the Ponseti International website there should be a tenotomy, wearing of the braces for 2-3 months all the time, and then overnights until the child is 3-4 years old. My son did not have a tenotomy, wore the braces all the time for 8 months, and then overnights until he was just shy of 25 months old. Very different than the standard schedule. I am normally one to just trust what the doctor says is best - after all... they are the experts. But I also know that they are human and therefore flawed. I'm torn a little on what to do for my daughter. I don't want to insist on a tenotomy for her if indeed it isn't necessary. But the only thing I can think of that is worse** than going through clubbed foot recovery twice is also going through two relapse cases. Oy!!!

**of any deformity I would take a child with clubbed feet - for us it has not been that bad - I'm being melodramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment